Excerpt from hisforlife.com blog by Kurt Dillinger, Founder of LIFE International
Being a “just man” is the first description of Joseph as found in Matthew 1:19. This description was written just following his discovery that Mary was with child. This was not a good situation, but Joseph’s initial response to Mary was uncommon for that day, and life-giving in attitude and intention.
While he must have been deeply shaken by this news, he chose not to expose her to public disgrace. He would deal with this matter in private.
Though divorce was Joseph’s intention, the Lord saw this and sent an Angel to communicate to Joseph, “do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife. What is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.”
What are the life-giving parts to this abbreviated story that are important for us to apply to our lives?
- Being close to the Lord. This gives us His perspective on tough issues.
- Putting pride and self aside to consider the well-being of another.
- Following the Lord humbly, regardless of personal cost.
- Doing what is right in the eyes of the Lord.
- Acting justly toward others, regardless of how things appear.
Each of these traits seems to be part of Joseph’s character. Joseph set a great model for us as to what a life-giving person lives like. God knew what was needed and He empowered Joseph to meet Mary’s needs at this very pivotal moment in history.